Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nov 12 2010


Forget that I’m in London or how great my wife is, forget that my bills are paid and my health is good, I want more. I want perfection! The depressing part is you can live your whole life and never experience one day of it. There are plenty of ways to avoid that depressing fact. Setting low standards is one or focusing on small steps and never looking forward, or even not caring. But who wants to do that? Those tactics are kind of depressing in themselves. I’ve got a way that side steps the whole problem. Taking pride in the progress and enjoying the challenge. That optimism is based on the idea that a lifetime goal should not be achievable. It should be capable of lasting a life time, something chased yet never achieved. Simply because life is active not passive and after achieving something like perfection, what else is their? But now everything is all messed up. You see… today I achieved perfection. What am I supposed to do now? To be honest I cheated a little in my criteria for perfection by half doing one of the cheating tactics already mentioned. I have simple standards, but they are not easily achievable and I definitely care about the criteria and the goal. The standards are: 1) having a day full of fine art as a profession and 2) having some recreational fitness thrown in to break things up. This would be easy if I forgot about every other obligation involved in being an adult, but that would be delusion not perfection.

I have a new better goal now. Now that I have tasted perfection, the goal is to do it again and change my day into a lifetime. Human perfection is not sustainable so this is not an achievable goal, but it is more than worth attempting. Time to get moving, I already feel today becoming yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. So very well said Sal. I agree with you completely. Are you ever coming back to Roanoke? It sounds like you have found your nitch there in London and I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete