Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tear Down the Wall!

Walking through double door archways into a greeting hall full of art, the ivory resonance of piano in the air, surrounded by friends and fellow art lovers, individuals becomes one with the crowd and collective unity of the Muses. It is these atmospheric social art offerings that invite the community at large to love art and see it not as only a reflection of life, but a possibility of what could be. For this specific occasion I was attending the weekly Friday Night Music Night event at the National Portrait Gallery. This night was exceptional however because it was also the Evocation of John Gibbons Portraits into the gallery (that’s a big deal by the way). He was clearly delighted with the honour and thrilled to have the beautiful musical performances serenade his evocation. After the music was finished and a few short words by organizers and artist the strangest thing happened, participants went one way and spectators went the other.

Life was so beautiful, we were resonating so powerfully. Manet, Warhol, and Duchamp rebelled against this barrier between art and people. What happened? Where did this divide come from? In no small part we do it to ourselves. It is understandably a little awkward to talk to a stranger (input years of parental warnings here). After that negative self-affirmation does the rest; “They won’t want to talk to me.”, “What will I talk about?”, “I will sound dumb.”. I know not to disagree with your mom, but all that self-induced negativity has to go. People prefer to talk to those with similar interest and at social art events everyone is there for similar reasons. As long as you picked up the artist or gallery information packet (and read it) you have something to talk about. That handy flyer is also the key to becoming an expert, for as long as your short-term memory last at least.

Don’t take my words for it though, action is what matters!

Mr. Gibbons was more than happy to talk with me about his work and being a fellow artist in London (although much more established then me). I mostly asked questions about some of my observation of his work, and he was happy to answer them. He asked me some simple questions and we eventually rapped things up after I noticed a line growing behind me. At our last chance meeting of the night he wished me good luck on my upcoming show as he walked out the door with his wife in hand.

Promise me the next social art event you go to you will find one new friend. Tear that wall down!

3 comments:

  1. Brian, enjoyed this post and wanted to fill you in that yesterday (Sat. March 13th) we sold one of your framed prints. I think it was for $94.
    People love your work. Someday others may be intimidated to speak to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intimidated to speak to you after this beautifully written blog entry. :) Ditto what Healing Woman said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked at the comments again and cannot figure out how the name Brian got there? I swore I typed in Sal!!!! Oh well, at least you know who you are.

    ReplyDelete