Sunday, March 21, 2010

2012, Still Rings


London is alive with creation, that quintessential embodiment of life. The cranes of construction standing on their single leg, moving men, steel and imagination are only the most visible. Under gothic archways tribal music springs from a primal instrument made of one bow, one string, one gourd and one soulful thank you from its player as if unaware of his gift of harmonic discord between setting, music and man. A block away painters paint away the magnificent cranes with memories of times scenic past and others, their private studios create images of the future. Each creator is pulled forward, compelled. Behind it all is 2012. No one, especially artist, wants to admit it, but it is driving everyone forward. Many resist with their soft words but their actions are deafening, and I am not immune to this Olympic Fever.

When I first arrived here I expected London to provide me the treasure of subject, but I envisioned dancers, musicians and scarves blowing in the wind. I should have seen it coming. My drawings are focused on life, harmony and multiplicity. Using the Royal City to literally draw from, how could I ignore the imminence of the Olympics. I tried. I looked for a place of stillness, so I could write, draw and observe with just me and my pre-established muse, but that is not how life works. If I am truly a creator of artwork rooted in life, I cannot ignore the journey between start and finish that London is now on. Today I started my first 2012 inspired Prismatic Abstraction, “Still Rings”.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post. I love the fact that you are speaking your soul. Will watch for "still Rings".

    ReplyDelete